An open letter to Arkansas State Representative Nate Bell


Mr. Bell,

This morning you posted a rather crass and insensitive Tweet that read: “I wonder how many Boston liberals spent the night cowering in their homes wishing they had an AR-15 with a hi-capacity magazine? #2A”

Well Mr. Bell, I’ll tell you right now that this Boston liberal spent her night sound asleep, without an AR-15 and without fear. I woke up this morning with every intention of getting on the T and going to work, just as I did on Tuesday and Wednesday and Thursday. And now I sit here in my apartment after a day of working from home feeling just as safe as I ever have in my wonderful city of Boston.

I don’t want to debate the politics of firearms at this time, I just want to discuss your remark. Since Monday’s bombing, an amazing group of men and women have been working round-the-clock to clear the crime scene, gain evidence, and apprehend the suspects. The police officers of the city of Boston, state of Massachusetts, MBTA, and every college in the city, as well as the National Guard, are giving 150% right now to ensure that Boston’s residents are safe. I have nothing but admiration and respect for them and their hard work over this troubling week.

I do not want, nor do I need, a gun. I do not believe vigilante justice would do anyone any sort of favors in this situation. I trust the men and women of law enforcement to do the job they have been trained to do. They are the experts in charge of handling this situation, and I feel it’s best if they’re able to do their jobs without civilian intervention.

This Boston liberal does not cower. She stands with her fellow Bostonians, she stands Boston strong.

Also, I do not accept your “apology”. You specifically stated in your Facebook post that you “regret the poor choice of timing”, with no mention of the fact that you insulted an entire city based on your assumption of their viewpoint on a certain political issue. You are a horrific individual and I will probably not ever be inclined to forgive you for that.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blogger news

I just started this blog. As with everything else in my life, I have no clue what I'm doing.

Contact Info

If you ever want to contact me about anything at all, feel free to email me at redraconteur1013@gmail.com. I'm open to any suggestions you may have for the blog, questions you have for me personally, or anything related to guest posts, product reviews, etc.

About

My name is Kayla. I started this blog as a means of documenting my journey from fashion victim to totally stylish (I hope). Problem is, I have no clue what I'm doing. Using the resources available to me (aka, the Internet) I'm hoping to develop my own sense of style.